Vancouver knows she’s pretty and she’s only too happy to pose for pictures. Here are some of the best places to view this photogenic city:
- Vancouver Convention Centre: You’ll find great views of Stanley Park, the Lion’s Gate Bridge and the North Shore mountains from the “top deck” of this stunning new facility at the foot of Thurlow St.
- Stanley Park: There are lots of great viewspoints throughout the park, but one of the most-photographed scenes is the view of the Canada Place sails from Hallelujah Point near the totem poles.
- The Lookout: This viewing plaza at the Harbour Centre tower is a a popular stop for time-pressed tourists, but there’s a fee to get to the top.
- Cloud 9 at Empire Landmark: One hour in this Robson St. revolving resto/lounge will give you a 360-degree city view of the city.
- False Creek and Aquabus ferries to Granville Island: These pedestrian-only ferries criss-cross False Creek and offer a great view of Vancouver’s shoreline from “see” level.
Worth the drive:
- Grouse Mountain: One of the city’s most popular attractions no matter the season. On a clear day you really can see forever from this towering North Shore slope.
- Burnaby Mountain Park: From downtown, head east on Hastings St. and follow the signs to SFU for a terrific view up Indian Arm. (Or you could take the #135 SFU bus from the Burrard Station if you don’t mind a short walk.) If the weather won’t cooperate, enjoy the view from inside at the newly refurbished Horizons Restaurant.
- Shannon Falls: About 20 minutes beyond Horseshoe Bay, en route to Whistler along the Sea-to-Sky highway, this scenic park is a great spot for a picnic.
- Queen Elizabeth Park: Enjoy downtown views from the top of Little Mountain in one of Vancouver’s best parks. Drive south along Cambie Street, or take the Canada Line to Oakridge station and hop the #15 bus north on Cambie.
Did I miss any of your favourite Vancouver viewpoints? Please add them in the comments section below!
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
Photo: Tourism Vancouver
>>Related link: Guide to Vancouver, BC